Saturday, March 15, 2008

My first solder!


I finally did it, got the nerve to break open the Simply Swank soldering kit! After making that Serenity Now card I knew I needed that in my cube at work. This was the perfect excuse to use the soldering kit.

The piece measures 2" x 3". I used stamps by My Favorite Things and layered the cut out image on some funky Basic Gray cardstock. I know now I should take a class on this. Yes I was able to do it but it was tricky and in the close up you can see how uneven my solder job was. BUT I think I did a pretty good job for my first shot. The jump ring was really tricky, but I got it in after about three tries.

I like that the kit has everything you need but wish it also included a glass cutter. From what I saw at impress this is where they are making the cash on purchases after the kit. I intend to learn how to cut my own glass so I'm not limited to the sizes that are sold. It's also about $4.50 per set so I think I can do it much cheaper if I make my own. The cord length on the solding iron makes this a little hard to work with. It's about 6" shorter than my SU embossing gun. The embosser fits from the outlet to my desk great but this is a dangerous stretch. I'll have to get a power strip in there before using it again.

I can't wait to make Christmas ornaments and all kinds of goodies with this. I'm so glad I bought the kit. Now I just need to get myself into a class!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really cool and perfect for an office!

Laura lok said...

looks great and a very nice piece of work

Maren said...

WOW! This is so gorgeous!! I am glad you finally used your new tool!

AJ said...

yea!! You made something!! I am afraid to! I have no direction still! I love it, great idea on making a hanging.
Do you really think cutting your own glass is cheaper???

AJ said...

uh oh~looks like my post didn't go through!!!
fabulous!!
do you really think that cutting your own glass is cheaper???

carole (TruCarMa) said...

This is so COOL, and will be a perfect reminder for you at your office! (I say that to myself all the time, too!) I think I need one of those soldering kits myself...

Hope your artisan work is going well! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! : )

ElyBlair said...

Gorgeous!!! Great! I love this stamp and your piece:)

Lizette said...

This is fantastic ! Great job !
Your colleagues will be jealous !