Saturday, March 17, 2012

Maps


I participated in the Paper Crafts most recent submission call and was inspired by the Maps category the most. When I was helping my Grandma clean out her car before selling several years ago I came across a plastic bag filled with about 20 maps. Most were AAA maps for the Northwest and California with a few gems from Europe. I didn't know what I'd use them for but I knew they were too cool to toss in the recycle bin. I've hung onto them and so far have used them to make jewelry and home decor but this was a first for use on a card. Neither project was submitted (obviously since I'm sharing with you now) but what matters is I really love them and will actually use them myself.


This is my favorite of the two, a neat little travel journal. I really love the detail of having the edge of the map included. To make the puffy "Go See Do" pouch I stamped then crumpled the paper and worked it with a bone folder just like you'd curl ribbon with scissors until it was soft and then texture of fabric. Then I called my Mom over to help sew the darn thing because I can't sew a straight line. I also made the kraft tag and stamped it then added a long forgotten rub on to the bottom. Another favorite detail of mine is the way the ink pooled on the air mail-esque boarder. It was the first time I've used the image  and being that it's a clear stamp it can tend to do that unless you "dirty" it up. I really liked the effect for this use. Images are from Studio Calico


This is a card I made for my cousin who lives on the other side of the state. I had colored this main image a long time ago and it's been floating around my desk waiting for me to create something with it. This was perfect I thought. I used an area of the state she lives in for the background and then punched a "flower" with my large star punch making sure her city was visible on the "petal". The image is from Unity Stamp Co, The brad is Amy Tangerine by American Crafts.
 
Thanks so much for looking!

No comments: